For an 18- or 25-day residency in 2018, apply by May 15, 2017.
Residency applications are only accepted through Submittable. The deadline is May 15, 2017 at 11:59PM CST. Late applications will not be accepted.
Ragdale accepts approximately 150 artists each year. Ragdale encourages applications from artists representing the widest possible range of perspectives and demographics, and to that end, emerging as well as established artists are invited to apply. While there are no publication, exhibition or performance requirements for application, applicants should be working at the professional level in their fields.
Ragdale encourages artists of all backgrounds to apply, and does not discriminate against anyone on the basis of age, disability, gender, origin, race, religion, or sexual orientation.
All applicants submit electronic materials through the Submittable application portal. You must create a Submittable account first. Please note the following requirements to complete your application:
- A completed online application form.
- A nonrefundable processing fee of $25 (U.S.). You may pay the fee by debit or credit card through a secure site on the online application.
- Two current letters (i.e. within the last two years) of reference OR surveys** completed by people who know you personally and can address your professional capacity and suitability for a residency in a working community with other artists. Reference letters and surveys are confidential and are submitted electronically through Submittable.
**A 10-15 minute survey option has been added to 2017 residency applications. Instructions for completing the survey or letter of recommendation will be automatically sent to your references when you submit your application.
- A one-page artist’s statement and work plan explaining your work and what you plan to do while in residence.
- A one-page CV or resumé that summarizes your professional background.
- Work samples that show previous work from the past 2-3 years. All media is acceptable. Formatting of file types and sizes for electronic submission are explained on the Submittable portal.
Applications are reviewed by Ragdale’s Curatorial Board and staff. Evaluations of work are based on the following criteria:
- Work sample and statement show evidence of original, inventive and exciting new work.
- Work sample demonstrates quality, technical proficiency, and is professionally presented.
- Artist’s statement and resumé show evidence that the applicant’s work is reflective of continued, serious, and exceptional aesthetic investigation in the chosen medium.
- Work plan demonstrates that the artist will maximize the benefits of a residency at Ragdale.
- References reflect the artist’s ability to work well in an artist community.
You will be notified of your admission status via email three months after the application deadline, approximately the mid-August.
Ragdale can provide limited financial aid to residents, based on need. Only individuals who have already been admitted may apply for financial assistance.
Specific instructions and an application form are included when financial aid is requested. In most cases, a reduction in the resident fee is granted to help offset the cost of a residency. The aid awarded can be a 10-50% reduction depending on how many residents qualify. The application is due with the resident contract and deposit October 31st.
Artists collaborating on a project must submit individual application forms and appropriate work samples, along with a joint description of the work they intend to do at Ragdale. Clearly specify your work space needs. You may also submit an example of a previous collaborative work (either completed or in progress). Any specific concerns can be directed to Admissions before applying.
For further assistance, please email Admissions or phone 847.234.1063, ext. 28.